Osdag Training Workshop
- The Osdag team at IIT Bombay offers 1-day or 2-day training workshops on structural steel design using the Osdag software
- These training programmes are offered to Civil Engineering students (3rd year and above), professors, and also to design professionals working in the area of structural engineering
- Workshop participants will gain hands-on experience in steel design (and detailing) using Osdag
- Currently, the team offers hands-on training on 4 shear connection modules
- Participants will be given e-certificates after successful completion of the training programme
Things to know
- In order to conduct an Osdag workshop at your Institute/Company, you may send a request by filling a form in the section given below
- The request will be reviewed and approved by Prof. Siddhartha Ghosh (PI, Osdag) depending on the availability of team
- The organising institute will be responsible for arranging the workshop
- The organizer has to place a request for the workshop at least 15 days before the proposed date(s) of workshop
- Minimum number of participants required to conduct a workshop is 20
- Maximum number of participants allowed for a workshop is 60 (for more number of participants, additional workshops have to be requested)
- The request for workshop should come from the faculty, Department of Civil Engineering of the respective Institute. For a company, the request should come from the Chief (Design) Engineer (or above) heading a team of design engineers
- Each participant should be allotted a desktop/laptop throughout the duration of the workshop. A computer lab with projection facilities is best suited to conduct the workshop
- Some (student) volunteers from the host institute/company are needed for conducting the workshop
- Installation of Osdag on all the desktops/laptops should be done before the Osdag team arrives. However, installation instructions will be given to the volunteers prior to the workshop
Steps for requesting a workshop
- Step 1. Register with your email - click here to create account
- Step 2. Login
- Step 3. Fill the 'Osdag workshop request form' and submit.
Who can request Osdag training workshops?
- The request for workshop should come from the Head, Department of Civil Engineering (or above) of the respective Institute. For a company, the request should come from the Chief (Design) Engineer (or above) heading a team of design engineers.
What is the approximate wait time for a response after requesting for a workshop?
- The Osdag team will respond within 3 working days.
What are the facilities required at the host institute for conducting a workshop?
- A computer lab with projector, speaker, microphone, laptops/desktops (with Osdag installed) for every participant. Internet connectivity is recommended.
Who can participate in the workshop?
- These training programmes are offered to Civil Engineering students (3rd year and above), professors, and also to design professionals working in the area of structural engineering.
Will the participants receive certificates for attending these workshops?
- Yes, an e-certificate will be provided to all participants after the successful completion of the entire workshop. The participant has to use his/her contact email address, given at the time of workshop registration, to avail the certificate from here.
When will the participant get his/her certificate?
- 2 weeks from the last day of the workshop and onward, the certificate will be available for download.
How many resource persons (Osdag team members) are required to conduct a workshop?
- One resource person for every 25 participants, with a minimum of 2.
Does the host need to pay for the workshop
- The Osdag training workshops are currently being offered for free. However, the travelling, accommodation and related expenses of all the resource persons are to be borne by the host.
How many volunteers from the host institute/organisation are required to conduct a workshop?
- One volunteer for every 10 participants, with a minimum of 2.
How can I be a volunteer for Osdag training workshop?
- You should be a civil engineering student (3rd year and above) or professor from the host institute. Prior to the workshop, we will assign you sample problems to be solved using Osdag. The submission will be reviewed by the Osdag team and you will be selected as a volunteer upon positive review.
What are the duties of a volunteer?
- Installing Osdag in all desktops/laptops where the workshop will be conducted
- Testing of the installations
- Assisting the Osdag team in answering questions from participants, supervising the worksop progress and troubleshooting.
What is the benefit of volunteering in an Osdag training workshop?
- Volunteers will get a special “volunteering e-certificate”.
Can Osdag workshops be conducted remotely?
- Osdag workshops cannot be conducted remotely. However, a shorter introduction-cum-demonstration session (40 minutes) on the software can be provided remotely. For more information check the FOSSEE connect sessions.